I like The Colbert Report. Here Colbert hosts and tackles Bart Ehrman, a scholar I’ve said things about before. The result is pleasing to me. That skeptics with a penchant for the sensational like this get so much favorable press among skeptics without a background in biblical studies is a source of some frustration to many who know better. I think the treatment his work receives in this interview is more in keeping with what it deserves.
|The Colbert Report||Mon – Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c|
The one thing I can’t figure out is why Ehrman here seems to think that a concession to a critic, like “yeah,” “right” or “exactly,” is a rebuttal of the criticism.
Some hat tipping is in order here. Firstly to Pansy and Peony where I saw this clip. Secondly to Dr Tim McGrew for bringing the link to my attention, and thirdly to Matt and Madeleine’s M and M blog where Tim posted the link. I’m running out of hats!
- Internet Sceptic Meets Real World: Reginald Finley and Bart Ehrman
- Biblical scholarship and the push for novelty
- Ehrman: I’m not destroying Christianity, I’m only destroying the Bible!
- Singer's philosophy, where it belongs
- The times they are a changin’